Thursday 8 November 2012

It's enough to make you weep...

...with pure joy. 

It was one of those mornings, you know the sort, you feel a little down and at this time of year, you're thinking about the coming winter. There is always the threat of Christmas too and the knowledge that I'll never quite be ready for it regardless of how early I start preparing. So I don't, start preparing that is, and that just leads to inevitable panic.  Because I know all this; I get even more anxious and a bit more down.  

Anyway, this morning I decided that there was nothing for it but to get out and make the best of what was quite a sunny morning, and besides I needed the exercise.  Luckily, I also decided to take my camera.  

I'm very lucky to live just a stone's throw from one of Dublin's loveliest urban parks. Corkagh Park is on the site of an old mill and has quite a history, but that's for another day. As I walked through the gate, my spirits started to lift. Autumn had definitely arrived and the trees were resplendent in orange and russet hues.


 
Now there are three lakes in the park but one is a particular favourite of mine and I think I have come to consider it's inhabitants to be my friends.  They are quite tame and will actually take food from your hand.  In fact, they are quite assertive and are not at all pleased if you have nothing for them - it can be quite intimidating if you're not used to them.


And this guy pretends he's not interested but keeps a look out:


I walked on as I wanted to get some more shots of the trees and there is a lovely old Scotts Pine up beside the Pet Farm.  Now the farm is a fun place with enclosures for sheep and goats, a family of pot bellied pigs and assorted ornamental geese and ducks. When it's quiet and the children are all at school, some of the animals are allowed out into the park to graze. I was just starting to focus up on the Scott's Pine when this little guy wandered up.  He was actually tethered but was on a very long rope. He is such a friendly little guy. A lovely gentleman who was passing offered to take my pic with the pony.


I chatted to the kind gentleman for a while and we both agreed that it was such a joy to be able to walk in such lovely surroundings and get close to both wild and domesticated animals so close to Dublin City. 

As I was heading away from the farm I spotted this old married couple sitting under a tree:



I eventually headed for home forgetting about my Scott's Pine - I'll go back soon for that. I just had to detour to sit beside the little river for a while. So peaceful and quiet; the only sound was the water rushing over the rocks.


As I walked on, I realised that I did not feel down any more, in fact my spirit was soaring. I headed for the gate content in the knowledge that things can't be too bad with all of this beauty so close to me that I just have to step out my front door and I'm here in five minutes. I turned for one last look and almost wept with sheer joy.


2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading about your day Gerri. And your photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Mary Brigid, glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete